Water damage is a big deal in any area of your Nashville home or business. It is even more so when it occurs in a place you don’t go into very often. Like your basement. The best way to avoid severe water damage in your basement is to have it inspected. Take time to look around, especially after wet weather. Check for signs of a water damage issue, or hire a professional to do so. If any damage is found, it’s imperative to repair it as soon as possible. This helps to avoid costly and troublesome structural problems later.
What Are Some Signs That You Have Water Damage In Your Basement?
- Wallpaper or paint might be peeling away or appear discolored if your basement is finished. Therefore, look for bowing in the walls, which can result from long-term seepage. A white, salty substance known as “efflorescence” may appear on foundational walls; this will tell you if there has been flooding and how high water has risen.
- Another water damage indicator is if the basement flooring is swollen or removed from the subfloor. If any of these signs appear, take steps to find the source.
- Cracking can occur in the foundation and the floor, often due to water damage. You should look for cracks in window seals and door panes, as well.
- Unpleasant, musty odors often tell you there may be an excess water problem. It is usually mold or mildew that causes those smells.
What Steps Can I Take To Avoid Basement Water Damage?
To prevent water damage to your basement, it’s vital that you ensure your building has proper drainage to keep water from standing around your foundation and seeping in to create the issues mentioned above.
- If you store appliances that involve water in your basement, make sure they are kept in good repair to avoid leaks.
- Call a general contractor for a consultation on things you can do to keep water away from your foundation; water can seep down into your basement if this area is not managed correctly.
- If you experience water damage, it’s time to call experienced and trained professionals to remediate and repair areas that have extensive damage from excess water due to leaky pipes, flooding, and more.
Our team here at Ascension General Contractors is the team to call for renovation after water damage or other structural issues for your Nashville home or business. From additions and siding to decks and painting, we handle all types of construction and renovation projects. We are full-service repair specialists. Lastly, go check out our testimonials page to see what your friends and neighbors say about our services!