Many homeowners dive into the renovation process before they fully understand what they should know before a major renovation. Your home renovation can be disappointing and frustrating without preparation. There can be unforeseen expenses and issues that make the renovation process more complex than you expected.
Here are some things you need to know before you start remodeling your Nashville home:
What Comes First In The Renovation Process?
- You may want to consider investing in a lockbox if you plan on renovating your home before you move in. Your major renovation means you’ll be hiring a contractor, and contractors start early. It may not be possible for you to meet them at the site first thing in the morning. It can save you time, gallons of fuel, and early morning wake-up calls to give your contractor access.
- It’s important to wait on some decisions – like paint, flooring, and light fixtures – until you spend some time in the space you’re renovating. If you allow yourself some time before beginning to consider how everything will work together in the rooms you’re remodeling, you may save yourself the frustration of having to go back to the drawing board.
What Do I Need To Know About The Renovation Process Itself?
- You need to be aware from that start that your renovation will take longer than expected. So, be prepared and make accommodations. For example, you might think that replacing your old bathtub in your bathroom will be no big deal. It’s true that the removal of old fixtures can take a few hours, locating a new tub can take weeks. Another two-to-four weeks can pass by before they’re delivered, as well. As you can see, your expectation of using your new bath within a week can turn into a six-week waiting period, or longer!. Be realistic about your renovation process and timeline.
- You should expect the unexpected; plan extra time in your renovation timeline and extra money into your renovation budget to allow for unanticipated discoveries or issues during your major renovation project.
- Interview multiple contractors and compare the bids. Without interviewing several contractors, you run the risk of paying too much and not getting what you want. It will pay to do your homework and talk to several experts before making a final decision.
When it comes to a major renovation of your Nashville home, there’s a lot to think about. The Ascension General Contractors team members are experienced, dependable, licensed, insured, and fully bonded. We’re a full-service repair company! And we are proud to serve Nashville residents with all their renovation and repair needs for your home and business.