The key to a successful repair project after a disaster is hiring the right contractor. Your renovation may be a simple home repair or a more complex commercial property renovation. However, choosing the wrong contractor for either one will waste a lot of time, money, and energy. It is critical to select the right professional contractor for your disaster recovery.
Below we outline steps to ensure the contractor you decide to work with is the right one for you.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO TAKE WHEN CHOOSING A GENERAL CONTRACTOR FOR DISASTER RECOVERY?
- Determine what you want to see completed. Be clear on what you want and what you don’t want. Write down your objectives and your expectations for the contractor. Talk to friends, family, and neighbors who have had similar projects done and ask for recommendations.
- Once your list is ready, call every prospective contractor. Ask them all the questions you may have. A reliable contractor will provide you with a list of references for their previous customers. Also, someone with a long list of prior customers indicates that they have integrity and work well with people. Be sure to call some of their customers and ask for their feedback.
- It is advisable to work with a contractor with specialized experience. Determine out how long they have been in business and also their area of specialization. The expertise needed for disaster-related repair requires specific abilities and experience.
- Consider all the prospects carefully and choose at least three to five contractors in your prospect list. Invite them to your construction site for an interview. These meetings provide you the opportunity to verify their license and insurance.
WHAT ABOUT INSURANCE AND LICENSING?
- You should also call the licensing authority in your area to confirm that their insurance is valid. At this point, it’s time to select your contractor. Always remember that a contractor with the lowest bid is not necessarily the best. If they are prone to underbidding to get the job, you may end up paying more than anticipated; this is where your reference checking will help you. Their reputation will precede them.
- You now have a contractor for your disaster repair project. Always get written contracts specifying all the details that you discussed with your general contractor. A budget and schedule compliance is a must. Finally, agree with your contractor beforehand on the start date and the completion date for your project.
At Ascension General Contractors, we pride ourselves on the quality of our work and our communication through the process of your claim, repair, or remodel. Whether your project entails a full remodel or repairs to your family home, the Ascension General Contractors team is known for its ability to quickly align with your project needs to keep it running smoothly and on time. Our team can guide you through your improvements to make educated decisions that best fit your needs.
Ascension General Contractors is a full-service general contracting company with extensive experience in residential and commercial property repair and renovation. AGC has the expertise needed to handle disaster-related repairs. Our experience and insurance industry relationships give us the unique ability to guide you through the sometimes complicated process of working with insurance during the claims process.