As temperatures start to rise here in Middle Tennessee, our thoughts turn to being outdoors again. Blooming flowers and the smell of backyard barbecues will lure us out onto the porch or patio with friends and family, and soon we’ll be spending most of our time outside. Have you created an outdoor living space for yourself yet? Now is the perfect time to design one or update the space you already have. Keep reading for some tips and inspiration for your outdoor living space.
What Comes First When Designing An Outdoor Living Space For My Nashville Home?
- Your very first step is going to be determining how the outdoor space will be used and then you can plan accordingly. Ask your self a few questions, such as:
- Do you often host dinner parties or BBQs?
- How many guests do you typically entertain?
- Are you looking for a quiet space to relax and unwind?
- Does your space need to be kid or pet friendly?
- When designing your outdoor space, take the same care you would if you were designing the floor plan of a new house. Your outdoor dining area should be located near your grill or outdoor kitchen for convenience, as an example.
- Make the most of the views your property has to offer, such as designing a sitting area to enjoy a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise or a spot that allows you to enjoy mountain or water views. You can use hedges or screens to block out eyesores.
- Take your yard environment into consideration when it comes to placement of furniture or fire features; you may have an area that gets really hot or too windy and locating your sitting areas or your firepit there won’t be a good choice.
What Are Some Tips To Help Me Create Ambience In My Outdoor Living Space?
One of the biggest reasons we love to live outside is due to its natural beauty. Studies now prove that being outdoors is good for you, and positively affects your mental health as well as your physical health. Use natural elements in your outdoor living space design to take advantage of the benefits.
- For a refreshing and relaxing addition to your space, consider adding a water feature. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate fountain or waterfall; just the suggestion of water, even a trickle, can have a positive impact. The sight and sound of flowing water have been shown to enhance relaxation and even lower blood pressure!
- Extend your outdoor entertaining season by creating a fire pit or fireplace area with comfortable seating so you can enjoy cooler evenings by the fire year-round.
- Illuminate outdoor cooking area to allow you to do more meal prep outside and to enhance your dining experience. For safety, you can add decorative lighting to brighten your steps and pathways, and for visual interest you can uplight favorite trees or other yard features.
Here at Ascension General Contractors, we’re committed to helping our Nashville neighbors achieve their home design goals and dreams. Our team of home improvement specialists have the skills and experience you need. From decking and roofing to additions and remodeling, AGC does it all! Call us today at (615) 802 9043.