Planning for improvements to your home or business can be exciting; it will give you the opportunity to improve your spaces by removing eyesores, bringing in more light, refreshing surfaces and hardware, replacing furniture and hardware, and much more. The possibilities are endless! However, the key to a successful home or business improvement project is going to be having the right general contractor working with you. Here are some tips on finding the ideal candidate:
What Are Some Best Practices To Use When Shopping For My Contractor In Nashville?
- What is the size or type of your project? For a large-scale project, you will need a general contractor with experience in jobs of this size, and they will then hire subcontractors for any specialty work, such as electrical or plumbing. If you are focusing on an outdoor kitchen/deck project, you may want to find a contractor specializing in this kind of work. As you research your candidates, be sure to find out about their past projects.
- Has your candidate completed projects for people you know? Your friends, relatives, and neighbors can provide references for contractors they have used, and these recommendations can often be your best resource. You can also ask people in the building industry. Their peers in the construction industry will also tell you what their reputation is among those who do the same work.
- Do you know how to interview a contractor candidate? Here are some tips: Interview at least three candidates, and don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. You should also get a written bid from each for comparison. Don’t be afraid to negotiate, either.
What Are Some Things To Watch Out For When Choosing My General Contractor?
- Have you done a background search? General contractors and subcontractors should be licensed, but it depends on the state and municipality in which you live.
- Have they been involved in legal disputes concerning their work? Contact your area disciplinary boards, the Better Business Bureau, and your local county records to find if there have been any issues or litigation.
- Are they properly licensed? Your contractor should be prepared to provide a copy of their license, as well as documents for any subcontractors who will be working on your project. Beware of anyone who seems to think this is an unreasonable request.
If you are looking for a general contractor to work with you on your home or business improvement project, look no further than Ascension General Contractors! Our team is experienced, dependable, licensed, fully insured, and bonded. You can read what your Nashville friends and neighbors say about working with us here. We are proud to have served Nashville as a full-service repair company for over ten years. Call us today at (615) 802 7991, and let’s get started!