You’ve often heard it said that the kitchen is the heart of the home. It’s where families gather while food is being prepared to connect, cook together, and just be family. When friends arrive, you often visit over drinks and snacks in this centrally-located, warm, and inviting room.
In addition to being warm and inviting, you want your kitchen to be functional; awkward drawers and doors, cramped space, poor lighting, and confused walkways can leave you struggling to feel comfortable in your kitchen. Let’s discuss how to remodel your kitchen to be more functional and comfortable.
Which Design Elements Are Vital For A Functional Kitchen?
Here are a few of our top recommendations for a functional kitchen:
- For a kitchen to be functional, it must be well-lit; layer and blend four different types of light: task, ambient, accent, and decorative to achieve this goal. Each light source will give you only some of the necessary light for your kitchen.
- Islands, which continue to be popular, are a great way to add informal seating, extra prep space, and storage to a kitchen. Rather than a flat expanse of countertop, today’s islands often feature different levels and customized details like prep sinks, second dishwashers, and warming drawers. Islands are perfect for open cookbook shelving, built-in wine storage, and lit display areas.
- Traditionally, the stove, sink, and refrigerator are placed at points of a triangle for efficient movement in the kitchen. While this tried-and-true design still works for smaller kitchens with one cook, there’s a better design for bigger, busier kitchens: workstations. Each standard task station (prep, cooking, storage, and cleanup areas) and the more specialized ones ( such as baking and canning) are centered around a major appliance.
Why Should I Choose Ascension General Contractors To Create My Functional Kitchen?
Working with a licensed contractor will allow you to relax. Remodeling and renovations can be stressful at the best of times.
A licensed contractor will have more experience and knowledge than any DIY enthusiast. Licensed contractors must undergo training and legal requirements to obtain the proper licensing and insurance. Not only will this give you peace of mind that they can accomplish the job well, but they will conduct their business legally.
A licensed contractor will also:
- Offer insurance
- Handle legal issues for you
- Meet all requirements by the city and federal government
- Be qualified to work for you
Are you looking for licensed and professional contractors in Nashville? At Ascension General Contractors, we are fully licensed and insured and proud to serve the Nashville community as general contractors.
Give us a call at (615) 802 9025 today, and let’s get started creating your functional kitchen project!