Our homes are built from a grown-up’s point of view. That doesn’t mean that our homes aren’t safe for children, but it does mean that we may want to take a second look at our surroundings to see what can be improved.
Keep reading for some recommendations on how to look at your home from a child-safety perspective and make your home safer for kids, too.
What Are Some Top Tips On Making My Home Safer For Children?
The following points will be helpful in giving you some ideas about adding safety features to your home:
- Even though most fatal home fires happen at night, far too few families have a fire escape plan. Putting such a plan in place for your family is one of the most important steps you can take to keep your child – and everyone in the home – safe!
- Ensure smoke detectors are in good working order on every level of your home – be sure to replace batteries regularly. Carbon Monoxide detectors should also be installed throughout the house, especially near bedrooms.
- Consider installing sturdy handrails on both sides of your staircase and padded stair runners to soften the blow if someone does take a tumble.
- Use nightlights in halls and near stairs. Ensure there is a dependable light source at every staircase, and replace bulbs before they go out.
- Install window guards with emergency release mechanisms, which adults can easily manage for escape in the event of a fire.
- Visit the National Safety Council website for more helpful information on child-proofing your home.
How Can Ascension General Contractors Help Me Child-Proof My Home?
We are a full-service home repair and renovation company with all the skills and equipment needed to complete your renovation projects. We care about the safety of you and your loved ones, and we’re here to help you create the safest environment possible for your little ones.
- We specialize in renovation projects, from painting and decking to siding and roofing – we do it all!
- Whether your child-safety project entails a renovation or repairs to your Nashville home, Ascension General Contractors is known for our ability to quickly align with the needs of your project to keep it running smoothly and on time.
- We have extensive experience in residential and commercial property repair and renovation.