With strategic thinking about your design, materials, and timing, you can cut your renovation costs without cutting corners. Today we would like to share some tips that can help you keep your renovations economical and still achieve your dreams. Every little thing counts, so we’re going to help you save a little bit here and there, which will add up to some real savings.
- Increase Efficiency. If you renovate to equip your kitchen for maximum utility, you won’t need to blow out the walls to add space. Replace shelving with wall cabinets that extend from floor to ceiling, for example. Not only are you adding a current design favorite, but lots more room, too. Outfit these cabinets with dividers, pot trays, and Lazy Susans, and you’ll greatly increase your efficiency and save space.
- Natural Light. Capture light by installing a “light tube”, which slips between rafters to funnel sunshine down into living spaces. This method is far less expensive than cutting holes in your walls and adding windows.
- Recycle. You can find big savings by purchasing lightly-used fixtures and building materials. Keep in mind that due to liability concerns, many contractors will not work with salvaged items, so ask before you buy. If you are doing your own work, though, you can find almost anything you need this way, from doors to insulation.
- Donate. If you donate materials and fixtures to a local Habitat for Humanity chapter, they will come and remove them for resale. They can do a total takedown or just cherry-pick items, and save you a bundle. You will also be able to claim a tax credit for your donation, and help the earth, too.
- Professional Consultation. You might be able to tap the design-savvy of an architect by asking him or her to take on a one-time design consultation for a flat fee. You can take the resulting sketch to a builder or drafting service for formal construction drawings at a greatly reduced price.
- Work With A Contractor. Some contractors will offer mentoring services to skilled do-it-yourselfers for an hourly fee.
We are here to help you with your renovations, large or small, and we are committed to helping you get the job done without breaking the bank. Call Ascension General Contractors today!