As a smart homeowner, you will want to get the best value for your dollar when doing home remodeling, so today we are sharing some important tips to keep in mind. Before you decide to start a remodeling project, consider your costs versus the value you expect to receive so that you can be sure that the remodeling you are going to do will be a worthwhile investment. In the end, you will want to improve your home for your present enjoyment, and then when it comes time to sell, you will want to see a financial benefit, as well.
Here are some remodeling ideas that will do both!
- Space and Light. A homeowner will greatly increase the appeal of their property by opening up any areas of the home that are dark or feel cramped. Removing walls to create an open floor plan will bring both space and light into play, making your home feel much larger. Vaulted ceilings are another way to create an illusion of greater space, and skylights will add that desired natural light into any room.
- Curb Appeal/Landscape. The first impression of your home is the one that a potential buyer will have when they pull up in front to take a look. It is said that a great first impression of a home for sale can add 5 percent to the sale price! You will want to make sure your exterior paint and all the details are topnotch, and your driveway should be properly paved. Make sure any grassy areas are properly maintained and all plants are in great shape. If you are suffering from extreme heat, consider planting with drought-tolerant varieties. Not only will this make your front yard look good all year round, but it will save you money, too. Your deck should be complete with furniture and potted plants, and perhaps some trendy fairy lights, as well.
- Home Office. More people are working from home every day—maybe even you. A home office can be a great asset, both today and in the future. If you have some extra space in your house, consider remodeling this area to become a home office. Adding grounded outlets, data ports, and extra phone lines would be a good idea here.
- Adding a Deck. This can be one of the most important additions when you remodel your home; some estimates conclude that you can recoup up to 80 percent of its cost at the time of the sale of your home. Take time to plan it out and add in desirable features like built-in benches or a firepit, and be sure to use high-grade materials to increase the life of your deck.
- Update Kitchen/Bath. Your kitchen and bathrooms could possibly be the most important rooms in your home. It’s a deal-breaker to many home buyers if there aren’t enough bathrooms or if the kitchen needs too much work. Consider the costs of your materials before you start, and make sure that your choices reflect the area your home is in. Don’t install granite countertops if you live in an area where home values won’t allow you to recover your investment, for example.
Here at Ascension General Contractors, we are experienced in home remodeling projects of all kinds, and we are here to help you. Call us at (615) 750-2345 today.