Choosing the right contractor for your home renovation project will make all the difference between successful completion and a disaster. It can be a challenge to find the right person, but we have some tips today that can help:
Tips For Choosing The Right Contractor
- Size of your project. If your project is going to be large you will need a general contractor, and he or she may then hire subcontractors for any specialty work, such as electrical or plumbing. If you have renovation experience, you may want to work as your own general contractor and just hire tradespeople for each job. While this may save you money, it will be time-consuming.
- Have a plan. Know what you want to do before getting any estimates. You’ll get more accurate information if you are specific about what you want to be done and the materials you would prefer to see used.
- Word of mouth. Your friends, relatives, and neighbors can provide references, and are often the best resource. You can also ask people in the building industry, and employees of local hardware stores may also know some great people who do great work.
- Interviews. Interview at least three contractors, and ask lots of questions. You should also get a written bid from each for comparison. Don’t be afraid to negotiate, either.
- Check. General contractors and subcontractors should be licensed, but it depends on the state and municipality in which you live. Contact your area disciplinary boards, the Better Business Bureau, and your local court records to find if there have been any issues or litigation. Your contractor should be able to provide a copy of his or her license and copies of those for any subcontractors who will be working on your project.
- Scheduling. Know that your contractor will likely be too busy to start immediately, and that’s a good thing. It means they are in demand and that you have chosen well.
When it comes to your renovation project, our Ascension General Contractors team is here to help. We have the skills and experience necessary to get the job done, just the way you want it.